These bite sized classic sandwiches pack a huge punch of flavor and are the cutest little appetizer for any get together! Ouch. If you are a Steelers fan, like we are, that game on Sunday night was not pretty. What a disappointment.
Thankfully we had great company (though they were Pats fans) and delicious food to munch on during the game.For the get-together, I brought these cute little skewered mini BLTs. They are a fun twist on the classic and they were a hit!Get the “B”, the “L,” and the “T” ready! Break the bacon into small pieces, cut the lettuce into bite size pieces, and thinly slice a Roma tomato. Roma tomatoes are perfect for these little sammies because of their slender and firm nature. When sliced, they’ll be the perfect bite size piece without all the juice that could make these apps soggy. I’m an avocado lover and adding it to a traditional BLT has always been a favorite. It adds a little creaminess that makes the simple sandwich even better! After thinly slicing the avocado, be sure to give it a spritz of a fresh lime to keep it from browning.I used a hearty and dense round Italian loaf so that the bread was sturdy enough to hold all the toppings. Slice thin and cut into small squares and give them a broil in the oven on both sides.These would be perfectly tasty with the classic mayo spread, of course, but who doesn’t love a little spice in their bite? I added a heaping tablespoon of spicy Sriracha to my mayo and it took these bite sized goodies to a whole ‘nother level. I spread a thin layer on the bottom piece of bread but reserved the extra mix for any sauce lover in the crowd that wants to give their bite a dip. Anyone can make a BLT, I know, but the trick to making these minis is organization!Prepare your bite size pieces first and then set up your assembly line. You’ll have a whole platter of these in a snap!Try them for your next party! I promise there won’t be a single one left on your platter! Looking for another game day app? Try my Sideline Sausage Skewers!
Do you have a mini version of a classic recipe to share?
- 1 loaf of hearty, dense bread, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha
- 3 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4-6 slices cooked thick cut bacon, cut into small squares
- Iceberg lettuce, cut into small pieces
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 lime slice for spritzing the avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toothpicks, for serving
- Mix the mayonnaise and Sriracha together and set aside.
- Cut the thinly sliced bread into small squares and lay on a cookie sheet. Broil both sides until lightly toasted.
- Set up the assembly line of cut ingredients.
- Begin by spreading a thin layer of the Sriracha mayo on the bottom piece of bread.
- Top the bread in this order with the lettuce, bacon, avocado, tomato and other bread slice.
- Pierce the stacked mini sandwich with a toothpick and place on a platter.
- Continue building the mini sandwiches until all the ingredients have been used.
- Serve with remaining Sriracha mayo in a bowl for dipping.
Give the avocados a spritz of fresh lime to prevent them from browning after serving.