Sweet basil, cherry tomatoes and savory sausage bites are the perfect mix for game time.It’s almost Super Bowl Sunday! If my team can’t be in the game, then I at least want to snack on some fun bites with my friends. My football picking and crowd pleasing app is the easiest appetizer you’ll ever make.
In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the sausage links on all sides. Once browned, cut them into slices about 1 inch thick. (I admittedly use an old skillet for this so I don’t mind cutting right in the pan. Is that bad?)Continue to brown the slices for a few more minutes in the pan.Place your cooked sausage pieces on a paper towel to drain any additional grease. Then transfer to a serving platter.Place a piece of basil on top of each sausage bite.Using a long skewer (because it’s more fun than a little toothpick), put one cherry tomato on the end.Now take your skewer with the tomato on it and pierce through the basil and sausage bite. Repeat until all your pieces are skewered. If you are anything like me, you’ll sneak a bite or two because they are hard to resist.
These can be served warm but since they are traveling to a friend’s house, they also taste fabulous at room temperature.
Go for the extra point and serve these with my Mustard Mayo sauce for dipping.
This is hardly a recipe, but these Sideline Sausage Skewer Bites are so tasty. And the presentation is fun with all those skewers standing tall, like all the football fans standing around and yelling at the TV on game day (and in case you didn’t notice, I’m still going ahead and using Steelers colors to serve these).
This simple combo will be a touchdown! High five!!Looking for another game day app? Try these Mini BLTs.
What is your favorite football food to pick on?
- sweet Italian sausage links (I used chicken sausage)
- cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves, torn to fit on top of the sausage pieces
- Mustard Mayo sauce, optional
- Cook the sausage in a skillet at medium-high heat, making sure to brown all sides of the links.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces and continue to brown for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- Transfer to a platter.
- Place a piece of basil on top of each sausage bite.
- Place a cherry tomato on the end of a skewer.
- Pierce the basil and sausage with the end of the skewer.
- Stand the skewers tall for a nice presentation.