Bring back memories of old fashioned cooking with this deliciously satisfying one dish chicken bake. Remember those classic casserole recipes we ate as kids? You know those ones where mom would open up a few cans of good ol’ Campbell’s creamy soup, mix it up with some chicken and noodles in a casserole dish and bake the whole delicious mess together? It was simple cooking and everyone always loved it.
I rarely make these types of recipes…they probably are not the healthiest. But every now and then I crave a throwback comfort meal. Even more so, I crave a one dish dinner that takes little thought and effort and that the whole family gobbles up. This recipe has all the charm of an old-fashioned favorite without all the cream. Watch how fast this comes together!Place 6 boneless chicken breasts in a casserole dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss in a pack or two of sliced mushrooms. I love mushrooms so I use 2 packs of baby bellas.Top it with 1 can of Campbell’s Golden Mushroom Soup and about a 1/4 cup of water mixed in the soup can. If you desire a bit more sauce, try doubling the soup. You can’t go wrong!Gently toss and stir to combine.Now just cover this casserole dish with foil and pop it in the oven for about 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
The sauce should be bubbling by now. Remove it from the oven and sprinkle some French’s Crispy Fried Onions over the top.Bake it uncovered for another 10-15 minutes or until the onion rings are crisp and golden.If you are indulging and feeding a hungry crew, go ahead and try this with some egg noodles or even a baked potato. The sauce is so tasty, warm and comforting!
Our pieces of chicken are so enormous tonight that we are eating this meal with a little brown rice and some steamed asparagus, but pretty sure the kids all had a spoon in hand to scoop up the sauce.This meal is a stroll down memory lane with the crispy onions and hearty soup flavor. You’ll be left feeling satisfied, for sure! And you’ll probably have leftovers, so how great is that!?Do you make any old-fashioned Campbell’s soup dinners?
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup
- ¼ cup water mixed in soup can
- 1-2 8 ounce packs sliced baby bella mushrooms
- kosher salt
- French's crispy fried onions
- Place chicken in a glass casserole dish.
- Add mushrooms around the chicken.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour can of soup over the chicken and mushrooms.
- Add the water.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Juice should be bubbling.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle desired amount of crispy fried onions over the top of chicken.
- Bake uncovered for 10-15 additional minutes or until the fried onions are a golden brown.
Serve with brown rice, egg noodles, or a baked potato.