Substituting romaine with healthy and hearty kale and adding crispy fried chickpeas in place of the croutons gives you a killer salad! Caesar salad is always a crowd pleaser, no doubt. We get cravings for it in our house. But of course, I love to mix up a classic at times and tonight is no exception.
To start, I am mixing up a thick, creamy and decadent Caesar dressing full of intense flavor. This dressing cuts through the green’s slight bitterness and breaks down the leaves from tough to tender-crisp.
I am adding some anchovy paste that I have on hand to my dressing because my favorite Caesar salad of choice would be topped with some briney, meaty white anchovy fillets. Since I can’t get these fresh fillets at home, I’ll use the paste which is a bit saltier, but I am still picking up that briney blast!
For the “croutons,” I am making pan-fried chickpeas that are crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside.
I’m draining and drying these canned chickpeas first so that I get the crispiest results.
Then I am tossing them in an olive oil coated pan and giving them a good sizzle for 4-5 minutes or until the outside is a beautiful golden color.
They add the perfect crunch to this salad but would also be a healthy snack option.
This superfood salad was so easy to make and assemble with this punchy bright-tasting Caesar flavor and crispy chickpeas.
This salad pairs so perfectly with my Potlatch Seasoned Smoked Salmon and the savory and healthy meal is ready in just 30 minutes.
Do you have a dressing you love to eat with kale?
Kale Caesar Salad with Crispy Chickpeas
Substituting romaine with healthy and hearty kale and adding crispy fried chickpeas in place of the croutons gives you a killer salad!
Author: Jen Seislove
Recipe type: Dinner
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp. anchovy paste
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp pepper
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head of Kale, rinsed, trimmed from center stem and torn into small pieces
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a mixing bowl.
- Using an immersion blender, mix until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Heat olive in a skillet over high heat.
- Add chickpeas.
- Fry in olive oil until golden brown, tossing often, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel to drain grease.
- Pour desired amount of dressing on top of kale. Using your hands, massage the kale, squeezing it to soften it and blend in the dressing.
- Add the crispy chickpeas and toss to combine.
As always, adjust your seasoning in your dressing to your taste. Want a bigger garlic punch then add more cloves.