Tassels are everywhere! You can find them on throws, pillows, and wall hangings. They aren’t just there to adorn your home, but they are center stage in fashion too. Have you been wearing the fabulous tassel earrings like I have? Tassel jewelry is a must-try this spring season.My mom, Jude, would flip over the current tassel trend that is going on. She always had tassels in every space in her home, adding a splash of color to an otherwise ordinary space.
With these dangling beauties being all the rage right now, I decided to jump right in and make some for my home. There’s something so refreshing about creating my own decor and these DIY tassels have to be one of the easiest projects yet. You can make one in less than 5 minutes. Start with a standard skein of embroidery floss in a color that suits your home decor.
- Take your skein and remove the paper and carefully untwist it.
- Cut off 2 lengths of floss, about 10 inches each, and set aside.
- Fold the skein in half.
- Tie one of the 10 inch pieces around the fold.
- Wrap the other 10 inch piece of floss around the folded skein near the top and tie in a knot.
- Using the extra length of floss, wrap both ends around the skein, making a thicker band.
- Secure with a knot and trim the long ends.
- Cut through the loops at the bottom and trim any uneven edges.
Give your tassel a little poof to add some “weight” to it. If you’d like, add a wood bead to the top for some added texture.
Tie the two ends to make a loop and hang your new tassel wherever you need a little ornamental power.
These little handmade embellishments add interest into a space, drawing your eye around the room with their pops of color.
Do you have this tassel trend in your home yet?