This quick, easy and healthy soup features juicy rotisserie chicken, crisp snow peas, and nourishing quinoa that are all brightened up with the flavors of fresh lemon and dill.My Better Half is out of town for the night which means my kiddies get to choose the dinner. I know what is coming…requests for chicken nuggets, macaroni, or grilled cheese.
Grilled cheese wins the vote.
I, however, am not jumping on this cheesy train tonight. And my rear side will thank me later.
With this gloomy and cold winter weather, I am constantly craving a warm, comforting, scrumptious bowl of soup. It’s “soup weather” after all, am I right?
So, while the kids will be scarfing down some greasy grilled cheese sammies, this mama will be giving chicken soup a fresh and fabulous makeover in just 30 minutes.I start sautéing my onion and garlic in some olive oil until tender and translucent. Once the chicken stock is added and brought to a high heat, I toss in my diced potatoes and quinoa.
While I wait for my potatoes to get tender and the quinoa to cook, I grab my rotisserie chicken. My meat obsessed Boy is awake from his cheese coma and preys on the chicken too, leaving me just enough to tear apart 2 cups for my soup.
I toss in my snow peas and add the chicken to the pot, lowering the heat and cooking for about 5 minutes.
It is just about ready and is looking so fresh and tasty. I toss in my diced tomatoes, my fresh dill, and my lemon zest.The lemon and dill give the soup a brightness that reminds me of spring days to come. Though that stinkin’ Groundhog seems to tell us otherwise.
To serve, I give it an extra dose of fresh squeezed lemon juice over the top, making the soup even more vibrant for this gloomy winter night.
What’s a soup without some crusty bread, so I serve this with a fresh toasted slice spread with creamy mascarpone and cracked pepper.
My steaming bowl of soup is delicious and the veggies are perfectly cooked with a crisp pop to them. Even my girls request a bowl to accompany their grilled cheese.
The soup is hearty and healthy and bursting with bright flavor in just 30 minutes. And there are plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow!Looking for another quick and easy soup? Try my Weeknight White Chicken Chili or my 30 Minute Chicken Parm Soup.
Do you have a 30 minute soup?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced then roughly chopped
- 5 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup or about 1 large red potato diced into small chunks
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas cut in half
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato seeds removed and diced
- 3 tbsp fresh dill finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- juice of one lemon slice for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes or until onion and garlic is tender and translucent.
- Add chicken stock and bring heat to a medium-high.
- Add potatoes and quinoa and cook in the broth for 15- 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and quinoa is done.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in chicken and sugar snap peas and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato, dill, and lemon zest.
- When served, squeeze the juice of one lemon slice over the top of the soup.
Be sure not to overcook the snow peas. You want them to maintain their bright green color.
Serve with toasted bread and mascarpone, if desired.
Try substituting the snow peas with spinach or kale for a different twist.