Toss some leftovers with fresh veggies in a whole wheat wrap and satisfy your mid day hunger. I love when I have leftovers and odds and ends in my refrigerator that I can turn into a masterpiece to munch on.
Meet my Toasted Quinoa, Sweet Potato and Kale Wrap. Or maybe it is a burrito? All I know is that it is so scrumptious.
We had quinoa for dinner and I always make extra. It’s so versatile for lunch the next day or to add to another meal the following evening. And then I had my all time favorite Black Kale on hand. I crave this much too often. There’s probably some limit of this kale you shouldn’t eat and I have probably reached that, but I love its flexibility in a variety of dishes, not to mention the tangy, sweet earthy taste of of it. I also had these gorgeous sweet potato spiral noodles that I couldn’t wait to incorporate into some recipe.Add a can of black beans, a ripe avocado, fresh cilantro, jalepeno, and a whole wheat wrap…plus a day that I had a big morning workout and I am starving…then I see a healthy and tasty wrap ready to be slammed by me.I toss my black beans and my sweet potatoes in the olive oil drizzled pan to warm them up. Then I give my beans a little smash with my fork and add a sprinkle of chili powder and now this can be my flavorful spread on my wrap.
I remove those and add my Black Kale for a quick flash of heat that will help it break down a bit and become tender-crisp.Finally, I add my leftover cooked quinoa and cook it unit it gets golden and slightly toasted.Time to assemble. I start to layer all my goodies, give it a kick of cayenne and wrap that baby up.
I’m in veggie wrap heaven and I’m thankful that no one is home to interrupt me as I completely devour this beauty.The different textures are perfect. The browned ends of the sweet potato, which I did on purpose, give it a caramelized and sweet bite while the creaminess from the black beans and the avocado give it a richness. And that Black Kale adds a chewy crisp texture that is ah-maze-ing.
It’s simply delicious.
- whole wheat wrap
- 1/2 can black beans rinsed and drained
- chili powder
- sweet potato spiral noodles
- black kale torn into small pieces
- quinoa cooked
- jalepeno seeds removed and sliced thin
- avocado sliced thin
- cayenne pepper
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pan. To one side of the pan, add the sweet potatoes.
- Add half a can of black beans to the other side.
- Heat for a few minutes, giving them a toss often.
- With a fork, smash the beans in the pan and sprinkle with chili powder.
- Remove from pan and add the black kale in.
- Heat for 1-2 minutes or until the kale is just beginning to get tender.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the pan and heat until slightly toasted.
- Spread the black beans on the whole wheat wrap.
- Layer all desired ingredients.
- Sprinkle with cayenne pepper for a little heat.
- Wrap and enjoy.
Vary quantities of each ingredient according to your liking.
Try adding feta to the top.
It's a wrap...you can add whatever you desire.