Cool down on a hot day with this silky, creamy chilled soup that is anything but basic. If I close my eyes and imagine the smells of mom and dad’s beach house, one thing comes to mind. Maryland crabs.
There’s really nothing like sitting around an oversized deck table with a bushel of crabs and some cold beers. Paired with heaping amounts of Old Bay and loud music, this family dining experience is unbeatable.
Just a few days after my mom passed away, I craved the flavor of lump crabmeat. I’m not even sure if it was a hunger craving or an emotional craving. It doesn’t really matter. We all enjoyed each bite of crab dipped in Old Bay for amazing taste as well as sweet recollection.I love how food can conjure up thoughts, bring comfort and spark powerful familiarity.
I bought so much lump crabmeat that we had leftovers and I knew exactly how I wanted to use them up. I whipped up my Chilled Cucumber and Cilantro Soup that made an appearance as a soup shooter appetizer at my Swine and Dine: A Masculine 40th Birthday Party.With a gorgeous green hue, this summery soup is refreshing and will cool you down on a hot summer evening. It gets its creaminess from Greek Yogurt and is bursting with herby goodness from the cilantro.The jumbo lump crab makes it really special, but the soup is filling on its own too. I promise you will savor every spoonful.It can be blended up ahead of time, making it perfect for a busy day. It is just a lovely way to fill your belly with freshness and cool down from the heat of summer.Do you make chilled soup in the summer?
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- ½ shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 english cucumber, roughly chopped
- ½ cup cilantro plus some for garnish
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- paprika or cayenne for garnish, optional
- Jumbo Lump Crabmeat, 1 can using the amount you prefer
- Place first 12 ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until serving.
- To serve, ladle into a soup bowl. Top with a heaping mound of fresh crab, cilantro leaves and a sprinkle of paprika.