Ordinary ingredients come together to make this delicious summertime treat. It is a long good-bye. That’s what they call Alzheimers.
The actual passing of my mom, Jude, was sudden though. I’ll never ever forget the sorrow and pain that ran through my body when dad said those words to me over the phone. “Mom died.”
In these last two weeks, my life has not been the same, but I’m trying to find strength as I’m reminded of the things she’s taught me. Remembering her as she was before this cruel disease and sharing her energy through this blog means everything.
The passing of my mom has me riding on wild waves of grief, catching me off guard when that wave crashes down. Today is my mom’s 72nd birthday and I can see the waves coming.
My youngest, Ella Jude, the sweetest and most sensitive in our family, suggested we make her Ammie a birthday treat. So together, we grabbed mom’s recipe card and made her Summertime Ice Cream Pie. It was the perfect remembrance that life is filled with joy in between those waves. This pie is made with plain ingredients that come together to make something that tastes incredible. It’s a little reminder of the spirit my mom had. Take something ordinary and make it extraordinary.This summery treat takes just a few minutes to whip up.A crunchy, chewy, chocolaty cornflake crust is the base. Spoonfuls of ice cream make the filling. And that’s it.
The texture of the crust combined with the creaminess of the ice cream is a tasty surprise and a perfect combination. Kept casual and served right in a foil pie dish, it is perfect for a backyard get-together or a potluck party. It’s always a crowd pleaser!You can customize it with any ice cream flavor you want. I am partial to a good ol’ fashioned vanilla bean here, but this is fabulous with coffee ice cream, mint chocolate chip, and strawberry ice cream too. It’s up to you, so make it your own.
In dishes like this, my mom lives on, reminding me of summer evenings on the deck when our family was whole. Reminding me of the qualities she possessed that I strive for every day.Happy Birthday, mama!
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 2 squares baking chocolate
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar tightly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 quart of ice cream flavor of your choice
- Remove ice cream from the freezer to soften a bit.
- In a large saucepan over low-medium heat, combine chocolate, butter, and brown sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved and then stir in vanilla.
- Remove from heat. Add corn flakes and gently stir until the corn flakes are coated.
- To a greased pie pan, pour in the chocolate coated corn flakes. Reserve some for the top.
- Chill for a few minutes in the freezer to set.
- Fill the crust with one quart of ice cream.
- Top the center with the reserved corn flakes.
- Cover and freeze until ready to serve.
Use the ice cream of your choice. Classic vanilla is our favorite. Mint chocolate chip, coffee, and strawberry are other delicious options. Make it your own.