Crispy baked oatmeal topped with sweet blueberries will satisfy your morning sweet tooth! It’s my MC’s turn to whip something up in the kitchen!
She prefers to bake. I think she really enjoys the precise measuring and, maybe, the dusty mess it makes on the counters. Lol.
I asked Mags to make some breakfast bars because I think everyone is tired of the same breakfast options each morning. Plus, these bars were my attempt at keeping blueberries in the house for more than an hour, because when I buy a pack, they are gone quickly. My fruit eating girls can’t get enough of fresh berries!Mags started by mixing together some melted butter, flour, oats, honey, and brown sugar.
Then she carefully zested a lemon while I held my breath that she wouldn’t take some skin from her finger tips as well.She had to push up those sleeves and go to work to carefully combine all these ingredients into a nice crumbly mixture.And then she pressed this crust evenly into the bottom of the lined baking dish.For the filling, my girl combined these juicy fresh blueberries with brown sugar, fresh lemon juice and a touch of flour.
The filling was poured over the crust.The reserved crumbly mixture was scattered over the top.
These tasty little breakfast treats baked for 50 minutes until the top was golden and the berries were bursting!
We cut them, rather pressed them, into bars with a long, sharp flat edge knife. The baked granola crust provided just enough chewy goodness to compliment the ooey-gooey juicy blueberries and the crunchy topping.
The blueberry flavor shines through and makes this a healthy breakfast choice…and better yet, less morning brain power and breakfast prep with this grab and go option. What mama doesn’t want that?
They did last a few days in our house and were even enjoyed as a dessert treat too.Well done, little one!
Do you have a homemade, healthy breakfast treat?
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups regular oats not instant
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp white whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line the bottom of an 8x8 glass dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- In a large bowl, add melted butter, flour, oats, honey, brown sugar, lemon zest and salt.
- Mix until just combined and crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Add the mixture to the prepared dish and spread out into an even layer.
- In a small bowl add blueberries, brown sugar, lemon juice, and flour.
- Toss to combine.
- Add the mixture to the top of the crust and spread out evenly.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting.