Crispy baked oatmeal topped with sweet blueberries will satisfy your morning sweet tooth!We are in a bit of a school day breakfast rut lately, so my MC, the real baker in the family, decided to whip up some breakfast bars starring one of her favorite fruits. These are a fresh and convenient way to start the day and everyone is always a big fan.
Mags started by mixing together some melted butter, flour, oats, honey, brown sugar and lemon zest. She had to push up those sleeves and go to work to carefully combine all these ingredients into a nice crumbly mixture that gets pressed evenly into the bottom of a parchment lined baking dish.For the filling, she combined juicy fresh blueberries with brown sugar, lemon juice and a touch of flour.The reserved crumbly mixture was scattered over the top and then this was baked for 50 minutes until crisp and golden.
We cut them into bars with a long, sharp flat edge knife. The baked granola crust provided just enough chewy goodness to compliment the ooey-gooey juicy blueberries and the crunchy topping.
The blueberry flavor shines through and makes this a healthy breakfast choice…and better yet, less morning brain power and breakfast prep with this grab and go option. What mama doesn’t want that?
Well done, little one!
Do you have a homemade, healthy breakfast treat?
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups regular oats not instant
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp white whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line the bottom of an 8x8 glass dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- In a large bowl, add melted butter, flour, oats, honey, brown sugar, lemon zest and salt.
- Mix until just combined and crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Add the mixture to the prepared dish and spread out into an even layer.
- In a small bowl add blueberries, brown sugar, lemon juice, and flour.
- Toss to combine.
- Add the mixture to the top of the crust and spread out evenly.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting.