A savory ground chicken mixture wrapped in lettuce leaves is a quick and fresh dinner. Ready in less than 30 minutes and you’ll find most ingredients in your pantry. When it comes to Chicken Lettuce Wraps, my family is partial to this recipe.
But it’s good to switch things up sometimes and this is a savory alternative that my family enjoys! And any recipe that includes staples from my pantry, takes little planning and only a quick grocery store stop for some fresh ingredients, is a huge bonus!
If a recipe calls for ginger, I go heavy handed. We are all a fan of the root. I usually mince my ginger but in this recipe I grate it because I want the fresh spicy flavor to penetrate throughout this Thai dish.This recipe is a bit different from my normal lettuce wrap routine. In this recipe, I add the fresh ingredients before the chicken. It really seasons the chicken as it cooks.
The smell of this sautéing in the kitchen is awesome! The aroma of garlic and ginger in my kitchen gets the kids stirring so it’s a good thing this recipe is a quick one!
I just need to add the ground chicken in with the veggies and let them get to know each other. I think they’ll really like one another, especially on their trip to my belly.
Now it’s time to add the sauce. Thank you to my pantry for having everything available. I love you.As this sauce reduces and becomes oh so sticky and flavorful, I prepare my bibb lettuce cups. I also chop up some cilantro and basil, because let’s face it, a meal without garnish is just so boring.Lettuce wraps are a favorite weeknight meal for my family, especially when we are busy with after school activities.
Do you have a favorite lettuce wrap recipe?
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Asian sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 3 tsp sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions white and light green portions
- 2 tbsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb ground chicken
- Lettuce leaves for serving
- Fresh cilantro and basil leaves for serving
- Bean sprouts for serving optional
- Stir together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice in a bowl. Set aside.
- Warm the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the green onions, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. Stirring constantly about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, breaking it apart and stirring occasionally, until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Prepare lettuce leaves.
- Add the soy sauce mixture and cook until reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Put a heaping spoonful of the chicken mixture into a lettuce leaf.
- Top with cilantro and basil and bean sprouts (optional)
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from Williams Sonoma