Fire up the grill for this healthier alternative to a beef burger that is piled high with fresh ingredients!
If you’ve just had a big meal and your belly is full, look away.
If you are starving, get ready. I’m going to make your mouth water.
What happens when my husband proclaims he’s so hungry, he hasn’t eaten much all day, and he is in the mood for a burger. Well, what happens is that I build the biggest, baddest, tastiest burger for him.
We like to switch out ground beef during grilling season for a healthier alternative to traditional patties. Nothing compares to a homemade patty but with our late summertime dinner schedule, pre-made ground turkey burgers work just fine for us. I’m grilling up some portobello mushrooms and sweet vidalia onions that I have drizzled with a little olive oil. These fresh veggies are going to sit so tall and pretty on top of my turkey burgers that I am smothering in some good ol’ Baby Ray’s Barbecue sauce. Once these burgers are cooked, I am tossing on a thick flavor packed piece of smoky gruyere. And because my man is hungry, I’m doubling down on the turkey patty and also making the buns toasty and warm. Time to build it! The addition of the delicate peppery water cress finishes off the burger perfectly. Making it was as easy as could be. Simple fresh ingredients piled onto a smoky, saucy, juicy turkey burger.A side of asparagus fries and it was a complete and over-the-top meal for my hungry man. The most fulfilling bite has each topping. They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. I think I’ve won Bill’s heart all over again.
- Portobello Mushroom slices
- Large vidalia onion slices
- Turkey burgers
- Baby Ray's Barbecue sauce or your sauce of choice
- Smoked Gruyere cheese, sliced
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Drizzle the mushrooms and the onions with olive oil.
- Place mushrooms on foil and grill until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place onion slices directly on grill and cook, flipping halfway through, about 10 minutes.
- Place turkey burgers on grill, baste with barbecue sauce, and cook about 4-5 minutes per side. Add more sauce after you flip them.
- Add a slice of gruyere cheese to one patty and top with another patty.
- Lightly toast the buns on the grill.
- Add barbecue sauce to the bottom bun. Stack the onion, burgers, mushrooms, and watercress on top.