This soup is packed with comfort and hearty flavor and can be on the table in 30 minutes.Mother Nature has officially lost her mind here in the Northeast! An afternoon of snowfall followed by a warm spring-like day seems to be the norm lately.
With her wild ways, she leaves me weather confused.
She manages to mess with my closet as I stand there trying to figure out what outfit will suit the daily temperature change. And she has a good way of making me want to turn down the heat and open the windows one day, only to be left the next day shivering from the minimal warmth in the house. Should I pack up the snow gear and bring out the deck furniture or what?
She can’t mess with my desire for soup though. I really don’t care if it is freezing cold or sticky hot, I am game for a hearty bowl of soup in any temperature. Soup is just a mandatory meal in my weekly dinner menu, whether I’m outfitted in a wool sweater or a cool tank.
I love a slow cooking soup that takes hours to come together but lately, I am all about a wholesome, satisfying ultra-quick soup that the whole family pretty much inhales.
My Italian Sausage and Sweet Pepper Soup is deliciously seasoned, fulfilling, and loaded with some of my family’s favorites.
- Italian sausage
- Italian seasoning
- Savory broth
- Spinach (though The Boy will fiercely dodge this green leaf any chance he gets)
The sausage and veggies get sautéed before adding in the grab-from-your-pantry spices.The broth soaks up all that Italian flavor and the al dente pasta makes it a complete meal in a bowl.And finally, crisp spinach leaves make it fresh and colorful.Unlike the lady in charge of the weather, this bowl of warm soup is totally reliable and will leave you feeling totally satisfied…and not confused one single bit.For more ultra-quick soup recipes, check out my Chicken Parm Soup, White Chicken Chili, and my Quinoa Chicken Soup with Lemon and Dill.
Do you have a favorite 30 minute soup?
- 1 lb. ground Italian pork sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2-3 red peppers, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 package pasta, cooked al dente
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried fennel
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Large handful or more of fresh baby spinach
- parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the sausage and brown, breaking it up into bite sized pieces.
- When sausage is about half-way browned, add onion and peppers.
- Cook until onion and peppers are softened.
- Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle a tbsp of flour over the top and stir to combine, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the seasonings, stir and cook for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, add in the pasta and the spinach and carefully stir to combine.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top.
If you have a red or white wine open and the pan needs to be deglazed, feel free to add a splash before adding in the broth.